High Court of Judicature at Allahabad
Case Law Search
Rakesh Kumar Singh v. State Of U.P. & Others - CRIMINAL MISC. WRIT PETITION No. 5994 of 2007  RD-AH 11726 (11 July 2007)
Court No. 36
Criminal Misc. Writ Petition No. 5994 of 2007
Rakesh Kumar Singh ---------------------- Petitioner
State of U.P. And others---------------------------------------Respondents.
Hon'ble Yatindra Singh, J.
1. The arrest of the petitioner was stayed by an interim order passed in this writ petition. The investigation had not been stayed. It is not known whether the investigation has been completed yet or not.
2. We have heard learned counsel for the petitioner and the learned A.G.A.
3. In the case of 'Mahendra Lal Das Vs. State of Bihar' 2002 SCC (Crl.) 110 it has been held by the Supreme Court that while interference by Courts at investigation stage is not called for, the investigating agency cannot be given latitude of protracting the conclusion of the investigation without any limit of time.
4. Having considered the lapse of time since lodging of the FIR, we dispose of this writ petition with the following orders:
(i)The investigation may be completed within three months of the date on which a certified copy of this order is presented before the Investigating Officer or any police officer of the district to whom the investigating officer is directly subordinate;
(ii)The petitioner will not be arrested during pendency and for the purpose of investigation, provided a certified copy of this order is presented before the police officer as directed above within one month from today;
(iii) If certified copy is not presented within the time aforesaid, the stay of arrest will not operate;
(iv) If at the conclusion of the investigation a charge sheet is submitted instead of final report, it will be open to the Judicial Magistrate, if he decides to take cognizance, to summon the accused by summons or warrants in accordance with Section 204 CrPC after copies have been prepared for compliance with Section 207/208 CrPC.
(v) If the charge-sheet is decided to be submitted to the Court of Magistrate, in column no. 3 of the prescribed form of charge sheet it will be mentioned that the accused have not been arrested on account of stay order granted by this Court.
(vi)The accused will co-operate with the investigation and in case of non-cooperation or otherwise if the Investigating Officer is of the opinion that for any other valid reason the arrest of accused is necessary during or for the purpose of investigation it will be open to the Investigating Officer to apply in this writ petition by means of a miscellaneous application giving detail of non-co-operation as also details of what kind of co-operation is expected from the accused for completing investigation or why the arrest is otherwise necessary so that interim stay of arrest granted hereby may be vacated.
5. This order will not come in the way if charge-sheet is already filed.
6. The writ petition is disposed of with the aforesaid directions.
Double Click on any word for its dictionary meaning or to get reference material on it.