High Court of Kerala
Case Law Search
VARGHESE THOMAS v. ISSUING AUTHORITY, HEALTH SUPERVISOR - WP(C) No. 21617 of 2006(W)  RD-KL 761 (13 September 2006)
IN THE HIGH COURT OF KERALA AT ERNAKULAMWP(C) No. 21617 of 2006(W)
1. VARGHESE THOMAS, AGED 35 YEARS,
1. ISSUING AUTHORITY, HEALTH SUPERVISOR,
2. THE CORPORATION OF COCHIN REP.
3. THE STATE OF KERALA, REPRESENTED BY
For Petitioner :SRI.V.PHILIP MATHEW
For Respondent :SRI.PRAVEEN K. JOY
The Hon'ble MR. Justice K.THANKAPPAN
O R D E R
K.THANKAPPAN, J.W.P.(C)NO. 21617 OF 2006
Dated this the 13th day of September, 2006
The petitioner has approached this Court for a direction to the first respondent to make necessary corrections in Ext.P1 birth certificate. In Ext.P1 birth certificate the name of the petitioner is entered as Varghese and his place of birth is shown as Cochin whereas in the S.S.L.C. Book of the petitioner and the decree certificate issued by the Mangalore University his name is shown as Varghese Thomas and his place of birth is shown as Kochi. The petitioner filed Ext.P6 application before the first respondent for making the necessary corrections. According to the petitioner, inspite of receipt of Ext.P6, the first respondent is not taking any steps to make the required corrections.
2. Heard counsel on either side. As per Section 15 of the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969 and Rule 11 of the Kerala Registration of Births and Deaths Rules, 1999, the registering authority W.P.(C)No.21617/2006 2 has the power to correct or cancel any entry in the register of births and deaths, if the authority is satisfied that such correction is necessary and the entry made is erroneous. The petitioner also relies on the decision of this Court reported in Meena v. Corporation of Cochin, 2004(2) K.L.T. 1118 in which an identical question was considered and direction was given to the Registrar of Births and Deaths to make the necessary entries either by correcting, deleting or adding the entries as required .
3. It is to be noted that in the S.S.L.C. Book , the degree certificate issued by the University and in the passport obtained by the petitioner, the name of the petitioner is shown as Varghese Thomas and his place of birth is shown as Kochi. In the above circumstances, there will be a direction to the first respondent to consider Ext.P6 application submitted by the petitioner and make the necessary corrections and entries in Ext.P1 birth certificate of the petitioner as early as possible, at any rate within 15 days from the date of receipt of a copy of this judgment. The Writ Petition is disposed of as above.
(K.THANKAPPAN, JUDGE)W.P.(C)No.21617/2006 3 sp/
Double Click on any word for its dictionary meaning or to get reference material on it.