High Court of Kerala
Case Law Search
THE REGIONAL TRANSPORT OFFICER/ v. M.P.KOYAMU - WA No. 2265 of 2002(B)  RD-KL 11047 (22 June 2007)
IN THE HIGH COURT OF KERALA AT ERNAKULAMWA No. 2265 of 2002(B)
1. THE REGIONAL TRANSPORT OFFICER/
For Petitioner :GOVERNMENT PLEADER
For Respondent :SRI.I.DINESH MENON
The Hon'ble the Chief Justice MR.H.L.DATTU The Hon'ble MR. Justice K.T.SANKARAN
O R D E R
H.L.Dattu,C.J. & K.T.Sankaran,J.W.A.No.2265 of 2002 & C.M.P.No.5870 of 2002
Dated, this the 22nd day of June, 2007
H.L.Dattu,C.J. The delay in filing the Writ Appeal is condoned.
2. Heard Sri.V.V.Ashokan, learned Special Government Pleader (Taxes) for the appellant.
3. Challenging the correctness or otherwise of the orders passed by the learned Single Judge in O.P.No.1315 of 2002 dated 11th January, 2002, the Revenue is before us in this appeal.
4. The admitted facts are: The appellant is a stage carriage operator. His vehicle was stolen on 14.6.2001. He had filed a complaint before the jurisdictional police authorities on the very same day. The possession of the vehicle was given to him by the police authorities only on 6.8.2001. Since he did not have R.C. book with him, he applied for the issuance of a duplicate copy of the R.C. book before the authorities. The duplicate R.C. book was given to him only on 23.11.2001.
5. There was a demand for payment of tax under the provisions of the Kerala Motor Vehicles Taxation Act. Aggrieved by that demand, the appellant/petitioner was before this Court in O.P.No.1315 of 2002.
6. Taking into consideration that the vehicle had been stolen and the petitioner could get the duplicate copy of the R.C. book only on 23.11.2001, the learned Single Judge has thought it fit to direct the respondents to grant the petitioner exemption from payment of motor vehicle tax for the period from 1.7.2001 to 23.11.2001. W.A.No.2265 of 2002 - 2 -
7. Having gone through the facts in detail and the orders passed by the learned Single Judge, we are of the opinion that the learned Single Judge has not committed any error whatsoever so as to call for our interference. Therefore, the appeal requires to be rejected and it is rejected. Ordered accordingly. Consequently, C.M.P.No.5871 of 2002 is dismissed. H.L.Dattu Chief Justice K.T.Sankaran Judge vku/-
Double Click on any word for its dictionary meaning or to get reference material on it.