High Court of Kerala
Case Law Search
SANKARA PANDIAN @ DURAI v. STATE OF KERALA - Bail Appl No. 4947 of 2007  RD-KL 15691 (14 August 2007)
IN THE HIGH COURT OF KERALA AT ERNAKULAMBail Appl No. 4947 of 2007()
1. SANKARA PANDIAN @ DURAI
2. HASSAN,S/O. IBRAHIM, HOUSE NO. 145,
3. JOSEPH JOHN, S/O. JOSEPH,
4. AYYAPPAN,S/O. PONNAYYAN, DOOR NO. II/178
1. STATE OF KERALA
For Petitioner :SRI.C.RAJENDRAN
For Respondent :PUBLIC PROSECUTOR
The Hon'ble MR. Justice R.BASANT
O R D E R
R.BASANT, J.B.A.No.4947 of 2007
Dated this the 14th day of August 2007
O R D E RApplication for regular bail. Petitioners are accused 3 to 5 and 7. A large quantity of counterfeit currency notes were recovered from the possession of accused 1 and 2 - spouses. Their interrogation led the police to accused 3 to 7 through whom accused 1 and 2 had allegedly come into the possession of the counterfeit currency notes. The petitioners were arrested on 16/7/2007. Investigation is in progress.
2. The learned counsel for the petitioners submits that the petitioners are absolutely innocent. No recovery of any counterfeit currency notes has been effected from the possession of any one of the petitioners. The petitioners have remained in custody from 16/7/2007. They may not be compelled to remain in custody any longer, submits the learned counsel for the petitioner.
3. The learned Public Prosecutor opposes the application. The allegations are serious. Detailed investigation B.A.No.4947/07 2 has got to be conducted. The leads obtained by the questioning of the arrested accused have to be followed up. It is too early to consider the release of the petitioners now. In a serious crime like the instant one, the investigators are entitled for reasonable further time to complete the investigation after arrest, submits the learned Public Prosecutor. Having considered all the relevant inputs, I find merit in the opposition by the learned Public Prosecutor. The investigators are certainly entitled for reasonable further time to complete the investigation. I am satisfied that the petitioners do not deserve to be enlarged on bail at this early stage of investigation.
4. In the result, this petition is dismissed. However, I may hasten to observe that the petitioners shall be at liberty to move this court or the courts below for bail again at later stages of the investigation not, at any rate, prior to 25/08/2007. The investigating officer shall, in the meantime, make every endeavour to complete the investigation.
(R.BASANT, JUDGE)jsr // True Copy// PA to Judge B.A.No.4947/07 3 B.A.No.4947/07 4
ORDER21ST DAY OF MAY2007
Double Click on any word for its dictionary meaning or to get reference material on it.