High Court of Kerala
Case Law Search
K.O.DEVASSIA, KALLUVETTAMKUZHIYIL v. JOY GEORGE, S/O.GEORGE - Crl Rev Pet No. 322 of 2007  RD-KL 1673 (22 January 2007)
IN THE HIGH COURT OF KERALA AT ERNAKULAMCrl Rev Pet No. 322 of 2007()
1. K.O.DEVASSIA, KALLUVETTAMKUZHIYIL
1. JOY GEORGE, S/O.GEORGE,
2. STATE OF KERALA, REPRESENTED BY
For Petitioner :SRI.MOHAN IDICULLA ABRAHAM
For Respondent : No Appearance
The Hon'ble MR. Justice R.BASANT
O R D E R
R. BASANT, J.CRL.R.P.NO. 322 OF 2007
Dated this the 22nd day of January, 2007
ORDERThis revision petition is directed against a concurrent verdict of guilty, conviction and sentence in a prosecution under Sec.138 of the N.I. Act.
2. The cheque is for an amount of Rs.1 lakh. It bears the date 14/9/2000. After indulgent modification of the sentence by the appellate court, the petitioner now faces a sentence of imprisonment till rising of court and a direction to pay an amount of Rs.1 lakh as compensation and in default, to undergo simple imprisonment for a period of three months.
3. Called upon to explain the nature of the challenge which the petitioner wants to mount against the impugned concurrent judgments, the learned counsel for the petitioner only prays that reasonable further time may be granted to the petitioner to make the payment and avoid the default sentence. No other contentions are raised at all.
4. I am satisfied that the stand taken by the learned CRL.R.P.NO. 322 OF 2007 -: 2 :- counsel for the petitioner is fair and reasonable. A detailed reference to the facts is not necessary as virtually no challenge is raised. Suffice it to say that the verdict of guilty, conviction and sentence are absolutely justified.
5. There is no merit in the prayer for any long further period of time. However, I am satisfied that the petitioner can be granted time till 28/2/2007 to pay the entire amount and avoid the default sentence.
6. In the result, this Crl.R.P. is dismissed. But it is directed that the impugned sentence shall not be executed prior to 28/2/07. The petitioner shall appear before the learned Magistrate on that day. If he does not appear as directed, the learned Magistrate shall thereafter take steps to execute the impugned sentence. Sd/-
(R. BASANT, JUDGE)Nan/ //true copy// P.S. to Judge
Double Click on any word for its dictionary meaning or to get reference material on it.