High Court of Kerala
Case Law Search
VASANTHAN v. THE RANGE OFFICER - Bail Appl No. 5563 of 2007  RD-KL 17436 (17 September 2007)
IN THE HIGH COURT OF KERALA AT ERNAKULAMBail Appl No. 5563 of 2007()
1. THE RANGE OFFICER
2. STATE, REP: BY PUBLIC PROSECUTOR
For Petitioner :SRI.T.G.RAJENDRAN
For Respondent : No Appearance
The Hon'ble MR. Justice R.BASANT
O R D E R
R.BASANT, J.B.A.Nos.5563 & 5564 of 2007
Dated this the 17th day of September 2007
O R D E RThese application are for regular bail. The petitioner in two separate crimes faces allegations under the Kerala Abkari Act. The incident in one case took place on 1/7/2007. The incident in the other case took place on 14/8/2007. On these two different occasions, he was allegedly found to be in possession of 6x2000x100 ml and 1500x100 ml of arrack in packets. Earlier applications filed by the petitioner were dismissed by this court. The petitioner who was arrested in the later incident remains in custody from 14/8/2007.
2. The learned counsel for the petitioner submits that the petitioner is absolutely innocent. It is prayed that the petitioner may now be enlarged on bail subject to appropriate conditions.
3. The learned Public Prosecutor opposes the application. The allegations are serious. The petitioner has criminal antecedents. He had already faced allegations in three B.A.No5563 & 5564./07 2 other crimes. Investigation is not complete. The petitioner may not, in these circumstances, be enlarged on bail now, submits the learned Public Prosecutor.
4. In the wake of the opposition by the learned Public Prosecutor, regular bail can be granted to the petitioner only if this court is in a position to entertain the twin satisfactions under Section 41A of the Kerala Abkari Act. I do not find any circumstances which can persuade this court to entertain either of those two satisfactions at the moment. I am satisfied that these petitions deserve to be dismissed now.
5. In the result, these petitions are dismissed. I may hasten to observe that the petitioner shall be at liberty to move this court for bail at later stage of the investigation, not at any rate, prior to 01/10/2007. The investigating officer shall, in the meantime, make every endeavour to complete the investigation.
(R.BASANT, JUDGE)jsr // True Copy// PA to Judge B.A.No5563 & 5564./07 3 B.A.No5563 & 5564./07 4
ORDER21ST DAY OF MAY2007
Double Click on any word for its dictionary meaning or to get reference material on it.